Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thursday

I'll not be doing a Thursday News in Review this week. Instead here's what's been going on in our lives over the past few days for anyone who is interested.
On Monday, Laurie's Mom went into the hospital with congestive heart failure. She's still there. Since she's been there her kidneys have been shutting down, she's had a heart attack and her congestive heart failure has not changed. At this point, it does not look good. It's a bit of an emotional rollercoaster as sometimes she'll be almost completely like her normal self, talking and joking and within an hour she'll look terrible again.

Laurie and I are pretty much spending whatever time Laurie's not at work at the hospital. That's why I'm here typing right now. While Laurie's at work I'm trying to keep a few other of the plates spinning: dishes, trips to the post office, the animals tended to and so on. When she's not at work, we'll be back at the hospital.

Laurie's Mom is in the old section of the hospital. I haven't really been able to discern what that section means, which is to say what kind of patients they place there. It seems to be sort of an extended emergency room, people who are really very sick but aren't as urgent as those who would be in the ER. There are so many subtleties in the hospital and so much of it is designed to draw attention away from its self. Hospitals are very strange places in our culture. I was amazed at how much comfort food they served in the cafeteria and in a moment of gallows humor joked with Laurie that it serves the dual purpose of comforting the visitors and possibly insuring more patients.

Anyway, I'm not sure I really want to be talking about the hospital right now. The real reason for this post is just to let everyone know in a little more detail what is going on.

Also, I've not heard back from the job interview I had on Monday yet, but I was told I would hear by Friday at the latest. All of which I guess is to say that there will be more news here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment