Sunday, August 1, 2010

Rob

I may be uncharacteristically quiet online over the next few days.  Long time readers of this blog and everyone I know in person knows of New York Rob.  Rob passed away last night.

Rob was my oldest friend in continual contact and probably my best friend.  I don't think more than a month has passed in the past 17 years without me talking to Rob.  I don't think I ever thought about how we would be friends for the rest of his life and I certainly didn't know how brief a treasure that would be.  So much of my life has so much to do with Rob.  I have no words to express how much I will miss him.  I keep trying to think about all of the things I want to say, but I guess it's not time for that just yet.  I'm still staring blankly half of the time and weeping openly the other half.  So, I guess the only things for me say at this point are these:

*If you knew Rob and need or want anything, please do let me know.  I would be more than willing to help in any way that I can.

*If you didn't know Rob, or even if you did, I strongly, strongly urge you to call everyone you love and tell them that you love them.  Say everything you ever wanted to say to people and do not harbor animosity or broken relationships.  Life is too short for that.  I talked to Rob less than 24 hours before he passed away and he seemed absolutely fine.  I told him that I love him and he was excited to have me read a paper he'd been working on. He was only a few months older than me.  You do not know when will be the last time you see someone you love.  I strongly strongly urge you to behave accordingly, conscious of that fact at all times.

*I will be back online soon, but I imagine it will be a few days.

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to lose a friend, especially a good one, and especially unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sad to hear about Rob and am so sorry you had to lose a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul,
    I'm sorry about the death of your friend. We'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about your loss, and will be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete