Friday, November 27, 2009

Reading The Classics Book Group

Book Groupies,

The day has come. Now is the time to begin our reading of Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

Here's how it will work. This week we are reading through what, in my copy, is page 64. You'll notice that the sections are not numbered and it strikes me as entirely possible that your copy's pages may be numbered differently. It's the section slightly over halfway through and the section ends with the line "Well, get the hell out and wash your face." It should be clear when you reach it.
Future books in the series are mainly broken into chapters so the "we're reading to" part will be easier in the future.

Deo Volente, in one week (actually, I may well post them late Thursday night) I will post my thoughts on this section. You can post your own thoughts on this section on your own blog and provide a link in my comments, or, for the blogless or blog-shy, leave your thoughts in my comments section in next week's reading group post, argue with or agree with other people's comments or my own, or, if you so choose, say nothing at all and just take it all in (but may God have mercy on your soul if you use any material by me or readers of this blog to write a paper for school without proper citation.) If you have not signed up for my reading group yet, don't worry. It's not required. You can follow along if you feel so inclined and comment if you like. All you have to do is to get yourself a copy of Of Mice and Men and read to page 64 by next Friday.

Also, we're trotting at this pace with the goal that we leave none behind. If you find yourself reading ahead, don't worry about that either. You can write your comments whenever you like and link to it next Friday. I would encourage you to take a break and write your thoughts at the point we're reading to this week because you don't want to "play the end" as it were. On the other hand, if there are those with raging schedules who are concerned with getting through a whole 64 pages in a week, I assure you that it reads very quickly. Read a few pages each night before bed and you'll be there in no time.

Which I think leaves nothing else for me to say at this point except, thank you for joining me. I think this will be a rewarding experience for all involved. I hope all of you can enjoy a weekend of reading this holiday weekend without the need to set foot in a store.

Happy reading. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment