Friday, July 30, 2010

Reading Group Reminder- Oedipus Rex

I have decided here and after to forego the customary week's break in between books in our reading group  for a number of reasons.  One is that if we cut the break, we might finish this book series by the end of this year!  Another is that I have serious doubts that anyone will object.  Another is that I want to read it now and it's my reading group, so I can do what I want.

Also, I think we're going to read all of Oedipus Rex in one week.  It's only 79 pages and it's script dialogue which tends to read very quickly (you could probably read it in one evening.  The rule of thumb in script writing is to estimate about one minute per page, so you can liken it to the running time of the average movie.  If you have time for a movie this coming week, you have time for this.)  I think we read bigger chunks in our Jane Eyre reading, so I think we can handle it.  So, if you would like to join in our reading group (which I would recommend to everyone), read Oedipus Rex and meet back here at the end of next week to discuss.

Here's a song about Oedipus Rex by Tom Lehrer.

No comments:

Post a Comment