Thursday, November 17, 2011

Christmas Wish List 2011

After many exhortations and prompts and cues from my mother, today I publish my Christmas wish list for this year.


1. Bad As Me- by Tom Waits: I still don't have the new Tom Waits album.  Life has a way of getting away from me.


2. The Journals of Spalding Gray: As soon as I learned this book existed, I knew I must own it.  From about ages 15 through 26ish, if asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, my stock answer was "the next Spalding Gray."



3. The Anatomy of Melancholy by Robert Burton: Laurie and I have been fascinated by the existence of this book and are amazed that we don't already own it.  It's not as grim as the title might suggestion, but rather a book of medical theory from the early 1600s.  Reviews lead me to believe that the New York Review Book Classics edition is the one to get. 


4. a bicycle- I plan on riding to my new job, which is in biking distance.  I shall become all lean and lissom and no longer sweat while I eat.  You'll hardly know me.


5. Last and certainly not least: The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick-  A book which I've waited over a decade to see the light of day.


I should probably also add that Laurie very much wants me to get a laptop and I am not objecting to the suggestion.


Speaking of bigger ticket items, I also wouldn't turn down a Kindle.


Or the entire Harvard Classics Library.

I thank you for your attention.
Ta and bisous!

1 comment:

  1. Waits new album is a must-have with lines like 'You're the same kind of bad as me' and with Keith Richards playing on several tracks.

    There are at least 3 really great songs on this album, 'face the highway' 'Everyone's talking at the same time' and 'Bad as me'. One of his best albums.

    ReplyDelete