Thursday, January 28, 2010

Reading Group Reminded- The Metamorphosis


Next week at this time, people in the Reading the Classics with Paul reading group will post our comments on The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. This particular book is a favorite of mine and I think everyone will enjoy reading this one. Welcome to the birth of the modern, folks. It's a shorter work, shorter than most of our sections from our last book, so we are going to do the entire work in one week. It's a quick read, so I don't anticipate anyone having a problem with this.

The copy I have is the edition from the picture there at the beginning of the post. It's the same edition that I borrowed from the first girl I ever had a crush on. She was in my Freshman year high school drama class and while the other students were doing scenes from Saturday Night Live, she and I would do scenes from Ibsen, Strindberg, and Wallace Shawn. We never ended up in any sort of relationship. I doubt she even knew she was my first crush. Her and I traded books once. I let her borrow The Viking Portable Woollcott, she let me borrow Kafka. That was a long time ago.

So, get a copy, read it, and next week we will discuss The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. Even if you've not been following along with the reading group thus far, this is a great time to start. Read the text and next week we will share our thoughts on it.

As usual, I like to put a little (hopefully) complementary side piece along with our reminder. One of my most overplayed albums is Philip Glass' Solo Piano album. It's in heavy rotation of "albums I'll throw on the stereo." Most of it is pieces of music from a theatrical production of The Metamorphosis from long ago. Also there's one piece that was written to accompany a poem by Allen Ginsberg. But here is the first piece, Metamorphosis One.

No comments:

Post a Comment