Thursday, July 16, 2009

another quick personal update

Last Thursday marked three months since my lay off. Laurie constantly tells me to stop paying attention to how much time has passed, but this one sticks in my mind. When I was in junior high or high school my father had a short "between jobs" period. The day I was laid off three months ago my father called me and said, "When I was unemployed it took me three months to find a new job and that was in a much better economy. So be prepared for it to take a lot longer."
So I noticed when the three month mark flew by.

I have many close friends who are unemployed right now and when we gather we all say the same thing. "What's the deal? Where'd the jobs go?"
The dissonance of being a hard worker who wants to work hard and who would be an asset to any company (if I do say so myself) scouring the employment world and finding nothing.

But there are irons in the fire and the tunnel seems to have a vague glow in the distance. I have a "taking work into my own hands" project that I'm working on that should be rolling before unemployment runs out and bring in more than I was making before (Lord willing.) I continue to apply for the few jobs that show up on the job boards/paper.
And I am writing. I am writing something completely mad which I can't talk about. First because I don't want to get discouraged and I have to admit that when I explain what I am writing to people it sounds profoundly stupid. Laurie and I are completely convinced it is actually sublime, delightful and possibly life changing. I kind of thrive on things like that.
In short, I have two important projects that I'm working on, neither of which I will give you any details on for a long time.

So, I thought I would do a quick update to say:
1) Laurie and I are fine. We're not even struggling. With her new job and my unemployment we are currently bringing in more than when I was working.
2) There's a lot of hope rattling around my noodle.

1 comment:

  1. I read about the huge amount of people that showed up for that new store (Forever 21) opening at your mall. Glad you are thinking of other options too.

    ReplyDelete